Bangor Cathedral by Baud, circa 1843
Shaw Galleries

Bangor Cathedral by Baud, circa 1843

Regular price $30.00

Bangor Cathedral sketch by Benjamin Baud, drawing by C. Warren, engraved by Benjamin Winkles, circa 1843

Bangor Cathedral is located in Bangor, Gwynedd, in North-West Wales. It is dedicated to Saint Deiniol, who founded a monastry on the site in circa 525. The land was donated by Maelgwn, King of Gwynedd. None of the original structure remains. Bishop David, with money donated from King Grufford ap Cynan of Gwynedd, endeavored to restore the cathedral and the earliest sections of the current building date from this time (1120-1139). The building was built in the Norman style with a cruciform plan, unfortunately it was largely destroyed in 1211 by King John of England's army. Afterwards, several alterations were made to the cathedral during its reconstruction. The apse was removed and the choir extended to its present size. Edward I of England invaded in 1282 and Bangor was once again badly damaged. From the end of the fifteenth century to 1532 extensive rebuilding was undertaken, with further alterations made by Bishop Skevington, such as the construction of the tower. In 1868, Sir George Gilbert Scott supervised yet another reconstruction of the cathedral and most of the present building reflects work done according to his design. 

Benjamin Baud (c.1807-1875) was an architect. He studied under Francis Goodwin and then joined the Royal Academy School in 1829. From 1826 to 1851, Baud was a frequent exhibitor at the Royal Academy. He won the competition to design Brompton Cemetery, but was dismissed from the project in 1844, after six years of work. Baud worked with Jeffry Wyatville from 1826 to 1840 on rebuilding Windsor Castle. He also worked on private residences in addition to his commissioned projects. 

This print was published in volume three of Winkles' Architectural and Picturesque Illustrations of the Cathedral Churches of England and Wales. 

- Naomi Bean 

Plate size: 4.5" x 5.5"
Sheet size: 6.75" x 10.5"
Condition: Four minor stains to margins, with some lighter stains in image area. Otherwise, very good antiquarian condition.


More from this collection