County Map of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Cape Breton Island, and Prince Edwards Island, 1860, Mitchell
Shaw Galleries

County Map of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Cape Breton Island, and Prince Edwards Island, 1860, Mitchell

Regular price $110.00

County Map of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Cape Breton Island, and Prince Edwards Island, 1860, Mitchell

This hand colored map is a steel plate engraving dating to 1860 by American mapmaker Samuel Augustus Mitchell, Junior. The Welsford-Parker Monument was erected in the year of 1860 in Nova Scotia. Named after Major Augustus F. Welsford and Captain William B.C.A. Parker, whom both died in the Battle at the Great Redan, this monument was built to commemorate and honor those who battled in the Crimean War, especially those that fought in the Battle at the Great Redan. The arch and the lion were sculpted by George Lang, and the monument was unveiled in July of 1860. The unveiling ceremony was attended by all of the Halifax and Dartmouth Volunteer companies, particularly the Halifax Volunteer Battalion. The Welsford-Parker Monument is the second oldest war monument in Canada, erected only after the Montcalm-Wolfe monument in Québec.

Samuel Augustus Mitchell (1792-1868) turned his attention to mapmaking in the 1830s, due to his dissatisfaction with available school maps. He developed a map publishing business that would make him and later his son the most prominent American map publishers of the nineteenth century. By collaborating with prominent mapmakers and engravers of the day, such as James H. Young and Henry S. Tanner, Mitchell ensured that the maps he published were of the highest quality. During the 1850s, he partnered with Thomas, Cowperthwait, & Company to publish his A New Universal Atlas and his General Atlas. In 1860, his son Samuel Augustus, Jr, joined the company and he ensured that the Mitchell name remained an important one well into the 1880s.

- Ashley Nicholson

Plate Size: 11" x 14"

Condition: In fine antiquarian condition


More from this collection