Hopkins' Map of Allegheny City's Ninth Ward, with Allentown and Sharpsburg, 1872
Shaw Galleries

Hopkins' Map of Allegheny City's Ninth Ward, with Allentown and Sharpsburg, 1872

Regular price $275.00

Allegheny City's Ninth Ward, with Allentown and Sharpsburg, 1872

This hand colored map is a steel plate engraving dating to 1872 by the legendary American mapmaker G.M. Hopkins. It depicts what used to be the Ninth Ward of Allegheny City, then defined by the Pittsburgh Railroad to the north, the Ohio River to the south and Strawberry Lane to the east. Today, the Ninth Ward of Allegheny City makes up part of Pittsburgh's Twenty-Seventh Ward. Allegheny City was laid out in 1788 following a plan made by John Redick. The lots in the plan were sold by the state government or given to Revolutionary War veterans. It was incorporated as a borough in 1828 and chartered as a city in 1840. In 1906, Allegheny City was absorbed by Pittsburgh. Both old ward systems were discarded and a new 27-ward system was instated. Allegheny City became Wards 21 though 27, and is known today as the North Side of Pittsburgh. The Ninth and Eleventh Wards of Allegheny City were combined to make Pittsburgh's new Twenty-Seventh Ward after the annexation took effect in 1907. The city of Allentown is included on the map. It was founded as 'Northampton' in 1762 by William Allen, and incorporated as 'Allentown' in 1867. The borough of Sharpsburg is also included on the map. The area was founded in 1826 by James Sharp, and was officially incorporated as a borough in 1842.

This stunning map has original hand coloring in shades of pink, green, blue and orange. This particular map comes from Hopkins' Atlas of the Cities of Pittsburgh, Allegheny, and the Adjoining Boroughs. This original antique map is double paged, as issued.  Published by G.M. Hopkins at 320 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, in 1872.

Jenna Hovis

Plate size: 28.25" x 17"

Sheet size: 29.25" x 17.25"

Condition: Some foxing, great condition otherwise


More from this collection