Hopkins' Map of Mount Washington, 1872
This hand colored map is a steel plate engraving dating to 1872 by the prominent American mapmaker G.M. Hopkins. It depicts the neighborhood of Mount Washington, then defined by High street (Grandview Avenue) to the north, Saw Mill Run to the south, Union Borough to the west and Lower St. Clair Township to the east. Mt. Washington was formerly known as Coal Hill until the named changed in 1876. The neighborhood is known for its fantastic views of the river valley and downtown Pittsburgh. Two inclines service Mount Washington, the Monongahela and Duquesne Heights Inclines, and they are some of the only remaining inclines in the United States that are still in operation. The large German population that settled in Pittsburgh proposed the creation of these inclines to function as a way to get from Mount Washington to the downtown area for work. Cable cars in Germany served as the inspiration for the project, with the Monongahela Incline being completed in 1870 and the Duquesne Heights Incline being completed in 1877.
This map has original hand coloring in shades of pink and green. This particular map comes from Hopkins' Atlas of the Cities of Pittsburgh, Allegheny, and the Adjoining Boroughs. This original antique map is double paged and was published by G.M. Hopkins at 320 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, in 1872.
- Jenna Hovis
Plate size: 16.5" x 19"
Sheet size: 17.25" x 21.25"
Condition: Minor foxing, great condition otherwise