Map of Michigan, Colton, 1855
This original antique map is a steel plate engraving dating to 1855 by the prominent American mapmaker Joseph Hutchins Colton. It depicts the state of Michigan divided by its counties. The state is bordered on the East side by Lake Huron, and on the West side by Lake Michigan. This map includes details of various cities, towns, forts, roads, waterways, and rail roads. Also included are areas of topographical detail. At the time of this map’s creation a vital structure was completed in the state of Michigan, a ship canal at Sault Ste. Marie. The construction of the canal began in 1853, one year after 750,000 acres of land was granted to the state of Michigan by Congress. The mile long canal and two 350 foot locks were completed two years later in 1855. The canal and locks were important structures as they enabled the developing mining industry in Michigan to flourish. The newly constructed canal proved successful as Michigan quickly became the leading producer of iron ore.
This map has original hand coloring in shades of pink, green, yellow, and orange. It features the spiral border typical of Colton maps. This particular map comes from J.H. Colton’s Atlas of the World, which is one of his finest atlases.
Plate size: 13” x 16”