Map of Persia Arabia, 1850, Mitchell and Cowperthwait
"Persia Arabia &c.", 1850, Mitchell and Cowperthwait
Through early 1850, the Turko-Persian delimitation commission worked on working through issues found in the second article of the Erzurum Treaty, which divided the disputed region at the Persian Gulf between Turkey and Persia. Dervish Pasha claimed that the Ottomans had claim to territory in Khouzestan, and that Persia should concede their illegally held territories in the northern borderlands. Persia interpreted the act as giving them full sovereignty over all territory east of the Shatt al-Arab, including all the river territory from the start of the Tigris and Euphrates to the head of the Persian Gulf. In February of 1850, a line between the delta region had been introduced; the line ran from Hawizeh to the junction of the Jideyeh canal with the Shatt al-Arab and then ran east along the Persian Bank to the Persian Gulf. In May of 1850 this river elimination line was finally agreed upon after much dispute with Persia, who had wanted the territory expanded four miles upstream to keep the lands of the Ka'ab tribesmen, provided that this Ka'ab tribesmen would be transferred to Persian territory.
Samuel Augustus Mitchell (1792-1868) turned his attention to mapmaking in the 1830s, due to his dissatisfaction with available school maps. He developed a map publishing business that would make him and later his son the most prominent American map publishers of the nineteenth century. By collaborating with prominent mapmakers and engravers of the day, such as James H. Young and Henry S. Tanner, Mitchell ensured that the maps he published were of the highest quality. During the 1850s, he partnered with Thomas, Cowperthwait, & Company to publish his A New Universal Atlas and his General Atlas. In 1860, his son Samuel Augustus, Jr, joined the company and he ensured that the Mitchell name remained an important one well into the 1880s.
Thomas, Cowperthwait, and Company was founded sometime in the early 1800s by Joseph Thomas and Hulings Cowperthwait. It operated under this name until 1853. The following year the company name changed to Cowperthwait, Desilver, and Butler. However, this configuration only lasted for about a year, before it became H. Cowperthwait & Company in 1856. After 1860, it appears the company experienced several more alterations, before ceasing publication at the end of the century.
~ Ashe Nicholson