Map of Russia in Asia and Tartary, 1850, Mitchell and Cowperthwait
shawgalleries

Map of Russia in Asia and Tartary, 1850, Mitchell and Cowperthwait

Regular price $195.00

Map of Russia in Asia and Tartary, 1850, Mitchell and Cowperthwait

Prior to 1850, Russia had spent a great deal amount of time moving administrative and criminal exiles to the village of Rizkovo with the idea in mind of creating a new Lutheran community. However, this move turned out to be a poor one; the exiles, hailing from several nations in Northern Europe, were constantly fighting and creating disorder. Amongst these groups were Estonians, whom after the creation of a Lutheran community along the Om River, many moved to the village of Revel. By the 1850’s, new Estonian colonies were spread amongst Siberia, including the village of Upper Suetuk established by Uri Kuldmae in the year of 1850. The life in Estonian colonies was largely disruptive; some were craftsmen or miners, and others survived by robbing neighboring Russian villages. The migration to Estonia only marked the beginning of migration to Siberia by Estonians, the numbers increasing by the end of the 19th century.

Samuel Augustus Mitchell (1792-1868) turned his attention to mapmaking in the 1830s, due to his dissatisfaction with available school maps. He developed a map publishing business that would make him and later his son the most prominent American map publishers of the nineteenth century. By collaborating with prominent mapmakers and engravers of the day, such as James H. Young and Henry S. Tanner, Mitchell ensured that the maps he published were of the highest quality. During the 1850s, he partnered with Thomas, Cowperthwait, & Company to publish his A New Universal Atlas and his General Atlas. In 1860, his son Samuel Augustus, Jr, joined the company and he ensured that the Mitchell name remained an important one well into the 1880s.

Thomas, Cowperthwait, and Company was founded sometime in the early 1800s by Joseph Thomas and Hulings Cowperthwait. It operated under this name until 1853. The following year the company name changed to Cowperthwait, Desilver, and Butler. However, this configuration only lasted for about a year, before it became H. Cowperthwait & Company in 1856. After 1860, it appears the company experienced several more alterations, before ceasing publication at the end of the century.
- Ashe Nicholson

Plate size: 15.5" x 12.7" 

Condition: Some minor foxing, but otherwise in excellent condition

More from this collection