Map of the Kingdom of Sardinia, 1850, Mitchell and Cowperthwait
shawgalleries

Map of the Kingdom of Sardinia, 1850, Mitchell and Cowperthwait

Regular price $180.00

Around the time that this map was published, two Palestinian sites in Bethlehem and Jerusalem remained under the control of the Ottoman Empire. Though, Russia holding the belief that the holy Christian sites should be restored to the Catholic religion and protected by the Russians, the nation's army occupied the Ottoman regions of Moldavia and Wallachia. Despite the Ottoman Sultan's efforts with diplomacy, Russia refused to leave, which began the Crimean War in 1853. Sardinia, the Italian kingdom a portion of Northern Italy and an island off the western coast in the Mediterranean Sea, aligned with Turkey and the Western European nations of Britain and France, who were concerned with the spread of Russian influence. While Sardinia sent 15,000 to Crimea to assist the Ottoman Turks, they only joined the war effort in 1855, when victory was in sight. The nation hadn't contributed much to the war, although participation increased popularity for the Sardinian Prime Minister, Cavour. One year later, the war resulted in Russia's defeat. 

Samuel Augustus Mitchell (1792-1868) turned his attention to mapmaking in the 1830s, due to his dissatisfaction with available school maps. He developed a map publishing business that would make him and later his son the most prominent American map publishers of the nineteenth century. By collaborating with prominent mapmakers and engravers of the day, such as James H. Young and Henry S. Tanner, Mitchell ensured that the maps he published were of the highest quality. During the 1850s, he partnered with Thomas, Cowperthwait, & Company to publish his A New Universal Atlas and his General Atlas. In 1860, his son Samuel Augustus, Jr, joined the company and he ensured that the Mitchell name remained an important one well into the 1880s.

Thomas, Cowperthwait, and Company was founded sometime in the early 1800s by Joseph Thomas and Hulings Cowperthwait. It operated under this name until 1853. The following year the company name changed to Cowperthwait, Desilver, and Butler. However, this configuration only lasted for about a year, before it became H. Cowperthwait & Company in 1856. After 1860, it appears the company experienced several more alterations, before ceasing publication at the end of the century.
- Mackenzie Pleskovic
Plate size: 16" x 13"

Condition: Some minor foxing, but otherwise in excellent condition

More from this collection