New Castle (Northeast and Central Parts), 1872, Hopkins
Shaw Galleries

New Castle (Northeast and Central Parts), 1872, Hopkins

Regular price $200.00

Northeastern and Central New Castle

This map is a steel plate engraving dating to 1872 by the prominent American mapmaker G.M. Hopkins.  It depicts sections of New Castle, which is a city located in Lawrence County.  In 1798, John Carlisle Stewart arrived in and claimed the area between the Shenango and Neshannock Rivers, now present day New Castle.  It became a borough in 1825 and was incorporated as a city in 1869, headed by its first Mayor, Thomas B. Morgan.  Business began to flourish in the early 19th century due to the canal system, and increased even more with the railroads.  New Castle quickly became a hub of steel and paper mills, foundries, firework companies, and china producers.  Shenango China produced the Castleton china, which was used by Presidents Lyndon B. Johnson and Dwight D. Eisenhower.  The booming industry in New Castle attracted many Greek and Italian immigrants.  New Castle was linked to Pittsburgh in 1908 through the Pittsburgh, Harmony, Butler and New Castle Railway, an interurban trolley line, which was later replaced with buses.  Lawrence County has a long history leading up to its formation.  When people started settling in the area of Lawrence County, it was part of Allegheny County.  On March 12, 1800, two new counties were formed from part of Allegheny: Beaver and Mercer.  It took several years for a new county to be approved, but Lawrence County was eventually formed from parts of Beaver and Mercer Counties in 1849 due to the rapid growth of New Castle.  The county was named after Captain James Lawrence, a naval officer during the War of 1812 who did not "give up the ship."

This stunning map has original hand coloring in shades of pink, yellow and green.  This particular map comes from Hopkins' Atlas of the County of Lawrence and the State of Pennsylvania.  The map is single paged, and was published by G.M. Hopkins at 320 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, in 1872.

- Jenna Hovis

Plate size: 12.25" x 14.25"

Condition: Some foxing, great condition otherwise